Engineer – Network Maintenance
To plan, organize, supervise and control the maintenance and operation of Transmission & Distribution equipment to ensure maximum availability of the system.
- Supervises others to deliver prescribed operational outcomes while working within established systems
- Controls, monitors and checks the activities of substation and line teams
- Provides onsite technical support during operation & maintenance of transmission and distribution equipment
- Collates information related to short to medium term equipment maintenance plans in accordance with manufacture’s specifications and organisation’s standards and requirements
- Prepares and submits operational and maintenance monthly reports to the Senior Network Maintenance Engineer
Installation, Maintenance & Repair
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses equipment and systems for emergency repairs, performs preventive maintenance inspections, assists specialists in setting up and testing new
- Transmission and Distribution equipment and installs complex systems with guidance
- Prepares and submits inputs for planned monthly and annual maintenance schedules
- Delivers required outcomes by managing day-to-day relationships with contract service providers and working within an established contract management plan.
- Works on site with consultants and contractors during pre-energising commissioning and takeover of new equipment to ensure that they conform to organisation’s standards and requirements
- Delivers own small-scale or medium-scale projects by working within an established program management plan.
Data Collection & Analysis
- Analyzes key themes using data from a wide range of sources and identifies possible impacts on the business.
- Provides information and data for the section’s performance and cost capturing report to the Planning Section
- Compiles technical reports on equipment performance and failures
Budgeting & Costing
- Takes responsibility for delivering a prescribed budget for own area of the organization and/or conducts complex analyses on budget progress in other areas while working within established systems.
- Prepares draft budget and controls expenditure against approved budget.
- Highlights shortcomings and suggests improvements in current compliance processes, systems and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline
Client & Customer Management (External)
- Manages relationships with small clients to ensure their needs are met while supporting senior colleagues in managing more important client and customer relationships
- Executes a communications plan by working within established internal communication systems and procedures
Improvement & Innovation
- Identifies shortcomings in existing processes, systems and procedures.
Policy Development & Implementation
- Provides input into the development of procedures for an area within the organization, then monitors the implementation of those procedures.
- Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the organisation’s objectives
- Trains Technicians to attain Senior Authorisation Status as the current company Safety Rules to ensure a safe and efficient operation
- Manages the performance of the team by working within a performance management system
- Proposes and implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient and motivated staff
Safety, Health and Environment
- Ensures that all safety and loss control standards (Safety Health and Environmental) contained in the organisation’s standards are adhered to.
- B. Eng. in Electrical Engineering or related qualification.
- Should be a standing member of a recognized professional engineering body.
- At least three (3) years post qualification in a power system operations environment.
- Attainment of Senior Authorization for operational purposes is a requirement.
Critical success factors
• System Operation
• Engineering Testing
• Engineering Technical Operations Support
• Commercial Acumen
• Computer Skills
• Analytical Processes
• Costing & Budgeting
• Data Collection & Analysis
• Verbal Communication
• Planning & Organizing
• Policy & Regulations
• Strategic Thinking
• Drive for Results
• Analytical Thinking
• Conceptual Thinking
• Understanding Others
• Team Leadership
• Focusing Others on the Customer
• Approach to Thinking
• Collaborative Influence
• Customer Focus
• Information Seeking