Engineer – Protection (South/Central/North)
To provide effective and reliable protection and control on the Transmission & Distribution and Generation Systems, to ensure safe, reliable and continuous availability of power.
- Operational Management – Supervises others to deliver prescribed operational outcomes while working within established systems.
- Installation, Maintenance & Repair – Troubleshoots and diagnoses equipment and systems for emergency repairs, performs preventive maintenance inspections, assists specialists in setting up and testing protection equipment and installs complex systems with guidance
- Contract Management – Delivers required outcomes by managing day-to-day relationships with contract service providers and working within an established contract management plan.
- Project Management – Delivers own small-scale or medium-scale projects by working within an established program management plan.
- Data Collection & Analysis – Analyzes key themes using data from a wide range of sources and identifies possible impacts on the business.
- Budgeting & Costing – Takes responsibility for delivering a prescribed budget for own area of the organization and/or conducts complex analyses on budget progress in other areas while working within established systems.
- Compliance – Highlights shortcomings and suggests improvements in current compliance processes, systems and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline
- Client & Customer Management (External) – Manages relationships with small clients to ensure their needs are met while supporting senior colleagues in managing more important client and customer relationships
- Internal Communication – Executes a communications plan by working within established internal communication systems and procedures
- Improvement & Innovation – Identifies shortcomings in existing processes, systems and procedures.
- Policy Development & Implementation – Provides input into the development of procedures for an area within the organization, then monitors the implementation of those procedures.
- People Management – Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the Corporation’s objectives
- Safety, Health and Environment – Ensures that all safety and loss control standards (Safety Health and Environmental) contained in the Corporation’s standards are adhered to.
B. Eng. in Electrical Engineering or related qualification.Should be a standing member of a recognized professional engineering body.
At least three (3) years post qualification in a power system operations environment. Attainment of Senior Authorization for operational purposes is a requirement.
- Strategic Thinking
- Drive for Results
- Analytical Thinking
- Conceptual Thinking
- Understanding Others
- Team Leadership
- Focusing Others on the Customer
- Approach to Thinking
- Collaborative Influence
- Customer Focus
- Information Seeking
- System Operation
- Engineering Testing
- Engineering Technical Operations Support
- Commercial Acumen
- Computer Skills
- Analytical Processes
- Costing & Budgeting
- Data Collection & Analysis
- Verbal Communication
- Planning & Organizing
- Policy & Regulations
- Achievement of correct protection coordination under different system configuration
- Fault diagnosis and analysis under pressure of quick system restoration
- Keeping abreast of technological advances
- Responsibility over a wide geographical coverage
- Working under hazardous high voltage environment