To provide effective and reliable protection and control on the Transmission & Distribution and Generation Systems, to ensure safe, reliable and continuous availability of power.
- Supervises others to deliver prescribed operational outcomes while working within established systems.
- Supervises and leads testing, maintenance, repair, installation and commissioning of protection, control and monitoring equipment to ensure efficiency and reliability
Ensures systems documentation and drawings are up to date and in good order
Installation, Maintenance & Repair
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses equipment and systems for emergency repairs, performs preventive maintenance inspections, assists specialists in setting up and testing protection equipment and installs complex systems with guidance
- Plans the routine preventative maintenance of the Generation and Transmission & Distribution protection and control systems to ensure effective performance
- Designs and modifies protection schemes to ensure optimised system performance and operations
- Implements protection and control settings as agreed upon with the Senior Engineer – Protection to ensure accurate and reliable operation of the equipment
- Performs calculations and simulations to determine optimal protection and control settings against equipment specifications
- Performs fault analysis and diagnosis to determine the nature and location of the faults
- Delivers required outcomes by managing day-to-day relationships with contract service providers and working within an established contract management plan.
- Delivers own small-scale or medium-scale projects by working within an established program management plan.
Data Collection & Analysis Analyzes key themes using data from a wide range of sources and identifies possible impacts on the business.
- Collects and collates data and information from all Protection and control equipment for system performance monitoring, evaluation and system studies
- Compiles adhoc and periodic sectional activity reports (including system performance).
Budgeting & Costing
- Takes responsibility for delivering a prescribed budget for own area of the organization and/or conducts complex analyses on budget progress in other areas while working within established systems.
- Compliance Highlights shortcomings and suggests improvements in current compliance processes, systems and procedures within assigned unit and/or discipline
Client & Customer Management (External)
- Manages relationships with small clients to ensure their needs are met while supporting senior colleagues in managing more important client and customer relationships
- Internal Communication Executes a communications plan by working within established internal communication systems and procedures
- Improvement & Innovation Identifies shortcomings in existing processes, systems and procedures.
Policy Development & Implementation
- Provides input into the development of procedures for an area within the organization, then monitors the implementation of those procedures.
- Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the organisation’s objectives
- Manages the performance of the team by working within a performance management system
- Proposes and implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient and motivated staff
Safety, Health and Environment
- Ensures that all safety and loss control standards (Safety Health and Environmental) contained in the organisation’s standards are adhered to.
- B. Eng. in Electrical Engineering or related qualification.
- Should be a standing member of a recognized professional engineering body.
- At least three (3) years post qualification in a power system operations environment.
- Attainment of Senior Authorization for operational purposes is a requirement.
Critical success factors
• System Operation
• Engineering Testing
• Engineering Technical Operations Support
• Commercial Acumen
• Computer Skills
• Analytical Processes
• Costing & Budgeting
• Data Collection & Analysis
• Verbal Communication
• Planning & Organizing
• Policy & Regulations
• Strategic Thinking
• Drive for Results
• Analytical Thinking
• Conceptual Thinking
• Understanding Others
• Team Leadership
• Focusing Others on the Customer
• Approach to Thinking
• Collaborative Influence
• Customer Focus
• Information Seeking