To implement, monitor, and supervise the day to day maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment in accordance with the set specifications, standards and safety procedures to ensure optimal plant availability.
- A recognized Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Must be a Competent Person (within 6 months for internal candidates and 12 months for external candidates from the commencement of training)
- Must be registered with the Engineers Registration Board (within 12 months of appointment)
- A valid Class B Driver’s license (within 6 months of appointment)
- At least three (3) years post qualification in mechanical maintenance. Experience working in a power plant environment would be an added advantage.
- Supervisory experience would be an added advantage
Critical success factors
• Risk Management
• Technical Support
• Service Delivery
• Commercial Acumen
• Computer Skills
• Data Collection & Analysis
• Planning & Organizing
• Policy & Procedures
• Policies & Regulations
• Verbal Communication
• Understanding Others
• Self Confidence
• Teamwork and Collaboration
• Analytical Thinking
• Social Responsibility
• Listening with Respect
• Approach to Thinking
• Attention to Detail
• Conceptual Thinking
• Drive for Results
• Information Seeking
• Customer Focus
- Installation, Maintenance and Repair
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses equipment and systems for emergency repairs, performs preventive maintenance inspections, assists specialists in setting up and testing new products/processes and installs complex systems with guidance.
- Provides technical advice and support to staff on the maintenance and repair of mechanical plant equipment and determines priorities to effect repairs in a timely manner to ensure that the job is completed successfully.
- Carries out complex fault diagnosis and repairs to minimise down time.
- Investigates and recommends modifications on mechanical equipment to optimise performance and address repetitive faults.
- Installs, modifies and commissions mechanical equipment in accordance with set specifications.
- Supervises the activities of the team to ensure that operational systems, procedures and safety standards are observed at all times.
- Carries out spot inspection checks and monitors operating status to ensure effective condition of mechanical equipment and machinery.
- Coordinates outages for mechanical maintenance purposes and prepares reports on the activities of the maintenance.
- Identifies risk areas and makes recommendation on maintenance schedules and procedures for review and approval by the supervisor.
- Quality Management
- Works within strict quality standards to support the Operations and Performance & Efficiency functions
- Data Collection & Analysis :Works independently to collate and analyse data using pre-determined tools, methods and formats
- Produces accurate reports for others by collecting data from a variety of standard sources and inputting that data into standard formats
- Analyses data, including from thickness gauge and ultrasonic testing, and advices on identified defects or impending failures on plant and raises work requests for action.
- Provides preliminary data for Root Cause Analyses
- Client & Customer Management: Carries out prescribed internal and external client management activities and provides support to others by following existing procedures.
- Identifies shortcomings in existing processes, systems and procedures, then uses established change management programs to deliver prescribed outcomes and/or provide support services
- Project Management: Supports others by performing prescribed project management activities following existing procedures
- People Management: Carries out on-the-job training in maintenance procedures and fault diagnosis in order to increase the flexibility and capability of the team.
Manages the motivation and discipline of staff in area of responsibility in line with laid down procedures to realize the Corporation’s objectives
Manages the performance of the team by working within a performance management system
Proposes and implements staff development plans for the area of responsibility to ensure competent, efficient and motivated staff
- Safety, Health and Environment
Operates in accordance with policies and rules, while performing routine safety checks on own equipment and workspace.
Contributes to the development of risk assessments
Participates in safety inspections and reports on findings to maintain safety of personnel and good housekeeping of the plant.