To co-ordinate Safety and Health initiatives as well as provide onsite support to the Business on all aspects pertaining to Health and Safety across the organization. The position is also charged with establishing, managing and monitoring standards, processes, communications, training and systems to ensure all responsibilities associated with Health and Safety within the company are adhered to, as directed by the SHER Superintendent.
- Plans and implements the company’s Safety and Health (SH) programmes that ensure that effective controls are in place to protect employees and assets.
Develops monitoring systems and procedures that ensure that any Safety and Health non-compliance is identified and rectified in a timely manner at regional level.
- Arranges for Occupational Health and Safety testing and/or evaluations of work place by external agencies/ consultants as may be necessary at regional level.
Conducts inspection and submits reports/orders from government officials and ensure compliance at regional level
- Conducts investigations of work related accidents, injuries or in accordance with procedures at Business Unit and/or regional level.
- Ensures prompt response to fires and other emergencies at Business Unit and/or regional level.
- Acts as a Safety Advocate who demonstrates excellent safety behaviour and attitude, follows regulatory practices and rules, recognizes and promotes hazard reporting and ensures effective safety reporting at regional level.
Professional Management of Safety and Health
- Develops short term plans (considering options in terms of resource availability, timing, and cost) to maximise impact of current processes and systems and remove barriers and risks.
- Implements strategy by translating plans into milestones, activities, roles and responsibilities.
- Contributes to budgeting process, and manages within agreed budget according to internal financial and accounting policies, processes, controls and record-keeping procedures.
- Prioritises activities according to deliverables to deliver value.
Supervises day-to-day execution of tasks and outputs within agreed timelines.
- Matches resources to process/operational requirements to complete work efficiently; reviews data to monitor productivity and quality.
- Undertakes Such Other Related Duties as Directed by the Supervisor
- A recognised Diploma in Environmental Management, Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent
- Three (3) years post qualification experience in Safety and Health function within an industrial environment.
Critical success factors
• Technical/Diagnostic Ability
• Analytical thinking
• Problem Solving
• Action Orientation
• Interpersonal Skills
• Commercial Awareness
• Process Management
• Continuous Improvement
• Drive for Results
• Customer Focus
• Decision Making
• Leading Change
• Values, Ethics and Integrity